Sunday, July 17, 2011

POKEMON!

This weekend, I went to Fukuoka with some friends. The group was originally 4 people (2 people in each single room we planned to use), but that turned into 8 people (4 in each room). It ended up being okay, since the price for each of us dropped from 3000JPY to 1500JPY.

While in Fukuoka, we went shopping. The Hakata JR station has a Pokemon center on one of the floors, which was my personal favorite part of the trip. There were a lot of new Pokemon, as well as a few of the popular old Pokemon (but no Butterfree :( ). I ended up getting some souvenirs for people, as well as a few things for myself. I also got a bunch of free pamphlets and such.

After, we took one of our Japanese friends to Krispy Kreme, and got him a doughnut. He enjoyed it immensely and ended up smelling the wax paper in the elevator.

We also watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 in a theater at the mall. It cost 1000JPY ($12.50). In Japan, you reserve seats in the theater when you buy your ticket (in advance), which I thought was a great way to do it. The movie was in English with Japanese subtitles. In front of the theater, they had a lot of flyers for upcoming movies. Unfortunately, there wasn't a Harry Potter flyer. It may have been a little more expensive to see Harry Potter in Japan, but I feel the experience (and ticket souvenir) was worth it.

The next day, the groups split up. I went with a friend to go shopping all around the area our hotel was in. We stayed in the Tenjin district of Fukuoka, which is the main business / entertainment district. There is a shopping mall right next to the station/bus center, as well as a few across the street. The main mall we went to had a floor dedicated to gothic lolita/visual kei fashion, and a floor of anime/manga goods. I was able to find some cheap clothes to replace some of my worn out shirts, and some Touhou (my primary Japanese fandom) goods.

Fukuoka was great fun. If you ever have a chance to go, I think you'll enjoy it. I definitely wish we had had a 3 day weekend or week/halfweek break to go traveling.

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment